RENO, Nevada (AP) — The fast-growing Hawk Fire spread from the Sierra foothills toward the center of Reno early Sunday, growing to more than 10,500 acres. Nearly 14,000 homes were ordered evacuated, and the “G0 NOW” zone reached the edge of the University of Nevada campus.

Washoe County, Nevada emergency officials opened the Reno-Sparks Convention Center to evacuees, but said they couldn't bring their pets — small animals and large animals were to be left at two other locations.

Get The Latest News!

Don't miss our top stories and need-to-know news everyday in your inbox.

Sign in to hide this notification.

Gov. Joe Lombardo declared a state of emergency in Washoe County, and mobilized the Nevada National Guard to support aerial firefighting with two helicopter crews as well as 60 troops to help police safeguard evacuated neighborhoods.

The fire apparently began Saturday and grew significantly throughout the day, fueled by strong, gusty winds, low humidity and dry vegetation, according to a statement from Truckee Meadows Fire & Rescue, which joined the fight from just across the California state line.

“Approximately 400 personnel are currently working on the incident, with resources coming together from local, state and federal agencies, including ground crews and air resources,” the Truckee Meadows statements said.

Article continues after sponsor message

Nearly 10,000 homes and businesses were without power in Washoe County on Sunday. Portions of U.S. Route 395, a major north-south highway, were closed due to the fire.

“If you have been told to evacuate, please don’t wait!” Reno Mayor Hillary Schieve said in a statement posted on social media late Saturday night. “Structures have already been burned in this fire and your life is more important than a building. Evacuating before the fire arrives also allows our firefighters to focus their efforts on battling the blaze.”

Authorities also were keeping watch on a county detention facility that was several blocks from the outer edge of the evacuation warning area.

“We have those inmates in mind and we are making sure that we have plans in place in case we may have to evacuate the facility,” Washoe County Sheriff Darin Balaam said.

Earlier this month, three wildfires fueled by hot, dry and windy conditions north of Reno forced more than 13,000 residents from their homes, according to the Nevada National Guard.

 

More like this:

Western Canada fights growing wildfires as thousands more told to be ready to leave
Aug 11, 2026
Flooding risk remains as storms move from the Midwest to the mid-Atlantic
6 days ago
Indiana authorities say at least 5 people have died as severe weather crosses the state
Aug 15, 2026
Belgian wildfire approaches Germany as Greece probes deadly blaze
6 days ago
Wildfires burn across western US and Canada as residents are evacuated
Aug 9, 2026